Who doesn’t like mac & cheese made from scratch? Forget the ‘orange powder’ version and try making it yourself! I of course had to add kale to it…
I made this version dairy-free, but if you wanted to, you could use cheddar cheese in place of the vegan cheese.
Kale Mac & Cheese (adapted from a Sobey’s recipe)
- 2.5 cups quinoa macaroni (try this wheat pasta substitute, it tastes great!)
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup Daiya ‘cheddar cheese’
- 2 tsp grainy mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (there are vegan versions if you want to make the recipe completely vegan)
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan or Celtic sea salt
- 1 bunch kale (about 115g without stems, torn up)
- 1/2 cup seasoned croutons
Preheat your oven to 400F. Cook the macaroni according the the instructions on the box. While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the flour and cook for 1 min while stirring. Add the milk and heat until small bubbles form around the edges. Add the cheese, mustard, Worcestershire, and salt and stir. Reduce heat to really low and stir once in a while while you’re finishing everything else.
During the last 2 minutes of cooking your pasta, add the kale. Drain well when finished cooking. Add the pasta and kale to the pot with your sauce and turn the heat off. Add your mac & cheese to a baking dish and bake for 5 minutes. When it’s done cooking, sprinkle the top with the croutons. Ready to eat!
P.S. Check out Oliver’s Food Revolution page. My smoothie idea made it into the ‘best of the rest’ category! My Nutty Smoothie