I received a beautiful bunch of chives last week in my farm share box and wasn’t sure what to do with all of it. When I think of chives I think of a garnish, sprinkled lightly on top of your finished dish. But with a big bunch in the fridge, I had to think of another idea…
Chives and Basil Pesto
- 1/2 cup chives, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups basil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp pine nuts (I call them diamonds–have you seen how much they currently cost??)
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan or Celtic sea salt
- 1/2 cup organic Parmesan cheese or vegan Parmesan cheese ( I like the one Galaxy Nutritional Foods make)
- 3 tbsp organic butter or vegan butter (e.g., Earth Balance)
Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and blend well. Serve on top of whole wheat spaghetti. Yum!
The pesto also freezes well. Once you want to use it, defrost it and mix in some water to lighten it up as it may have thickened.