I’m back! I went on hiatus in order to work on a postdoctoral funding application–it took up all my ‘free time’. And by free time, I mean when my mom babysat Baby Boy while I typed away. But it’s now submitted and out of my hands!
We had a pretty productive day over here. Started out at our fave brunch place, Mocha Mocha. If anyone is in Toronto, check it out–avocado in everything! What’s not to love?
Nana came over and spent time with Baby Boy, so the Husband and I whizzed around the house doing laundry, unpacking (from a Cuba trip 2 weeks ago! Shame…), and tidying up.
I didn’t feel like cooking much for dinner, so I made my go-to kale salad (recipe below), heated up some ready-made veggie spring rolls, and roasted some chestnuts on the stove. So random, but so good!
Kale and Avo Salad (serves 2, or 1 if main meal)
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and kale torn up in bite-size pieces (I used a bag of pre-washed and torn up kale for an even faster meal)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup corn kernels (I usually buy organic frozen corn–by the time I make the dressing and I’m ready to eat the salad, the corn has already thawed)
- 3-4 sun dried tomatoes, chopped into small pieces
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup mix of you favourite nuts and dried fruits
- Juice of 1/2 large lemon
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
Place kale and salt in large salad bowl and massage the salt into the kale for a minute or two. This will soften the kale, which will be more enjoyable to eat.
Add the remaining ingredients and mix up. That’s it! I devour this salad at least once a week. The great thing about kale salad is that it will hold in the fridge for a day if you have leftovers. But you won’t have leftovers 🙂 Enjoy and let me know if you try it!